What is platelet-rich plasma or PRP? Why is it important?
At Southern Oral & Facial Surgery, we are proud to be one of the few offices in the area that utilizes platelet-rich plasma, sometimes called PRP. Platelet-rich plasma is a specialized substance that is a by-product of blood. It allows us to supply a high concentration of our patient’s blood platelets directly to the surgical site. This technique sends three to five times the number of platelets in a normal blood sample to the site, prompting bone and gum tissue growth. This speeds up healing in the mouth and offers patients a more comfortable recovery.
Platelet-rich plasma is a unique treatment option because it accelerates the body’s natural healing process. Platelets in the blood enable clotting and the release of growth factors, which allow your body to heal rapidly on its own. By providing the surgical area with a lot of platelets, the rate of blood clotting and growth factor release is accelerated, allowing the body to heal more quickly and efficiently.
Patients who receive PRP during their procedure enjoy a variety of benefits, including
- A safer procedure. This technique enlists the power of the patient’s own blood sample. Since no chemical additives are necessary, the patient’s risk of disease transmission is reduced.
- An economical solution. Using the patient’s own blood decreases the cost involved with harvesting platelets from a blood bank sample.
- A convenient treatment. The PRP method is easy to use in various procedures and can be performed at our office.
- A faster healing time. The increased platelet and leukocyte levels allow for rapid healing of tissue and bone. This is particularly appealing to patients who have a busy lifestyle and wish to recover quickly.
Can platelet-rich plasma be used during my procedure?
Platelet-rich plasma can be used during several oral surgical procedures, including
- General or wisdom tooth extraction
- Bone grafting for dental implants
- Sinus lifting
- Ridge augmentation
- Gum tissue grafting
- Closure of cleft lip and palate defects
- Repair of the sinus cavity and mouth
At Southern Oral & Facial Surgery, we are proud to utilize platelet-rich plasma during our oral surgery procedures. To learn more about platelet-rich plasma (PRP) or how it can be used during your oral surgery procedure, please contact Southern Oral & Facial Surgery at our office in Franklin, TN, or Thompson’s Station, TN. We are happy to answer any questions you may have and discuss how PRP can be used during your surgical treatment.